The accounting clerk's job includes:
- Payroll work, filing the tax returns, bookkeeping and data entry
- Preparing accurate general ledger along with financial reports
- Analyzing the balance sheets and carrying out other administrative responsibilities
- Looking after accounts receivable and accounts payable reports
- Act as an adviser to the clients regarding budgets, taxes, risk assessments and investments too
- Doing general secretarial tasks
- Making and monitoring payments
- Ensure that the employees are paid in time and accurately by calculating pays
- Research and rectify records
- Collecting and processing time cards
- Ensuring the hours recorded have been charged onto the right job
- Computing and recording charges, cost of damaged or lost goods, rentals, freight charges
To become an accounting clerk, a high school graduate with computer skills is the minimum requirement. Most accounting clerks learn job duties on the job. Mostly senior accountant teaches the basic accounting processes as well as skills. If you have a having a bachelor's degree you may quickly move on to superior accounting positions.
An accounting clerk should be good with numbers as well as people. In addition, the accounting clerk must possess utter professionalism and ethical standards. Conformability and familiarity with the computer technology are some other skills one must possess. Knowledge in business procedures, spreadsheets and word processing is important. A strong hold in organization, communication and mathematical skills are also valuable. One must have critical thinking and analytical skills to understand and organize data and solve complicated financial problems.
It is essential for an accounting clerk to gain training in calculation, bookkeeping, maintaining and payroll work to become successful. Entering the field of accounting as clerk with minimum two years of college and training in the industry opens the probability of the eventual promotion. Especially, when a candidate takes on the job and carries on with the education leading to a degree in accounting.
The salary of an accounting clerk varies from lowest $20,310, median $31,560 and highest $47,580. The salary of an accounting clerk might also include retirement plans, paid vacation and insurance. While on the other hand, the accounting clerk of senior level might have utilization of the company car as well as other expense accounts.
Accounting clerks are employed in every industry small or large and also in the government offices. There are many openings in the payroll services and tax preparation businesses as well. Some years of accounting experience may lead you to superior accounting positions.
There are many job opportunities for accounting clerks especially those which specialize in payroll, accounting, tax preparation and bookkeeping. With a certification the chances of getting a suitable job brightens.
Jobs as accounting clerk are predictable to grow in the coming years and certainly allow individuals to earn a great salary. Since the technology is becoming an important and big part of daily business errands and functions, associates degrees which incorporate training on some in demand software programs, must be a plus point for the potential candidates.