Lyondell Chemical Company
Houston, TX, United States
ONE HOUSTON CENTER-130
External Reporting & Policy (50146185)
Finance and IT
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell ( www.lyondellbasell.com
) manufactures products at 55 sites in 17 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including; packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.
This role reports to the Associate Director, External Reporting and Accounting Policy and the purpose of the role is to play an integral part in interacting with and advising LyondellBasell's senior management on technical accounting matters related to US GAAP and IFRS. This highly-visible position will develop and maintain close business relationships with various disciplines throughout the organization including Financial Planning and Analysis, Segment Controlling, Corporate Accounting, Accounting Global Process Solutions, Treasury, Tax, Legal and the Merger and Acquisitions team.
This person will be the lead technical accounting advisor and required to have a strong working knowledge in many of the following areas: inventory; property, plant and equipment; leasing; impairment; segment reporting; derivatives and hedging; debt and equity securities; equity method and segment reporting. This person will be required to be able to explain complex concepts to non-accountants and lead or influence cross functional teams to resolve issues.
Roles & Responsibilities
1. Lead the Accounting Policy team and provide support to less experience team members on a daily basis.
2. As a subject matter expert, work with the business and others in the organization to identify, resolve and document complex accounting issues and pending transactions.
3. Work closely with the Treasury Department Corporate Finance Team and provide derivative and hedge accounting expertise to transactions being contemplated.
4. Prepare and review accounting memoranda providing documentation of the Company’s application of accounting principles to specific transactions or events.
5. Evaluate various complex transaction structures against US GAAP and IFRS, recommends alternative structures to meet business and financial needs while complying with accounting principles and regulations.
6. Coordinate and effectively communicate with various departments throughout the company and all levels of management regarding accounting issues.
7. Monitors standard-setters for latest accounting regulations, analyzes impact of new/emerging regulations on the company and proactively develops policy to address standard adoption and implementation.
8. Lead training sessions for company-wide finance personnel on both US GAAP and IFRS accounting.
9. Maintains strong relationship with external auditors; confers with external auditors on various transactions; documents transactions and decisions.
10. Strong SEC reporting knowledge needed and the ability to review SEC filings and the IFRS annual financial reporting to provide value-added comments in the process.
11. Drives continuous process improvements to mitigate risks throughout the organization.
12. A valuable member of the Finance team who leads by example and contributes to and effectively influences decisions.
13. Fosters an environment of strong ethics, morale, leadership and teamwork.
14. Serve as a mentor to others and has the ability to coach and develop team members.
15. Work with other accounting departments in implementing new accounting standards.
16. Integral to the finance function talent recruitment and development efforts.
1. Bachelor's degree in accounting is required.
2. Professional Accounting Certification (CPA or Chartered Accountant) is required.
3. Public firm transaction related experience is strongly preferred.
4. Public firm National (Technical) Office experience is a plus.
1. 10 years accounting experience – solid technical accounting knowledge in many of the following areas: inventory; property, plant and equipment; leasing; impairment; segment reporting; derivatives and hedging; debt and equity securities; equity method and segment reporting required.
2. Minimum 10 years of Big 4 public accounting experience.
3. Experience working in a fast pace environment.
Builds effective teams:
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity:
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here
Nearest Major Market:
Lyondell Chemical Company
Website : http://www.lyondell.com