Englewood, CO, United States
Responsible for making our #1 critical success factor, safety first, a priority in all tasks and activities performed by self and all others involved. The Accounts Payable (AP) & Payroll Accountant will have primary responsibility for posting accounts payable invoices and payroll information into financial systems, ensuring accurate coding to general ledger accounts, job numbers, phases, cost types and purchase orders and performing other Accounting duties. The incumbent in this position will resolve vendor invoice and employee payroll issues in a timely manner by working directly with Vendors, Field Leaders, Project Managers and Finance lead contacts. The incumbent will serve in a key role cross-training to serve as lead backup for the Payroll Administrator and AP Coordinator and will perform assigned duties in support of Project Accounting.
Essential Job Functions
1. Develop and maintain effective working relationships with Vendors, Internal Staff and Managers involved in recording and approving accounts payable and payroll transactions.
2. Utilize computer skills regularly (daily) to update accounting records with accounts payable (AP) transactions ensuring they are recorded in a timely and efficient manner. This includes accurate coding of AP invoices to general ledger accounts, job numbers, phases and cost types. This also includes accurate recording of invoices to open purchase orders and ensuring accurate information is calculated for sales/use taxes. The incumbent will serve in key support role to AP Coordinator Accountant to ensure deadlines are satisfied relative to AP check processing dates and month-end deadlines.
3. Resolve AP invoice and sales/use tax discrepancies in a timely manner by communicating directly with Vendors, Managers, Project Accountant and AP Coordinator.
4. Manage AP vendor files by setting up new vendors, ensuring appropriate paperwork is obtained such as W-9s and Certificates of Insurance, and processing vendor address changes.
5. Manage the receipt of weekly Payroll Time sheets from field by ensuring information provided is complete and readable and distributing temporary employee time sheets direct to Vendors..
6. Actively participate in 2019 initiative to automate Payroll Time Reporting systems for the organization by defining and communicating business requirements, documenting current and future process flows, conducting system conversion testing and training users in utilization of new Time Reporting platform.
7. Utilize computer skills regularly (weekly) to update accounting systems with payroll time sheets ensuring all hours are recorded in a timely and efficient manner. This requires accurate coding of time sheets to general ledger accounts, job numbers and phases. This also requires a review of information to identify missing timesheets, resolve discrepancies in reported hours, and calculating paid time off (PTO) for employees in accordance with company policies. The incumbent will serve in a key support role to Payroll to ensure deadlines are satisfied relative to processing dates. (Note: principal Time Entry function is to be automated in 2019 – see #6)
8. Resolve Payroll Time-Reporting issues in a timely manner by communicating directly with Field Superintendents, Foremen, Employees and Project Managers.
9. Participate in cross-training efforts to learn and understand critical functions performed by AP Coordinator, Payroll Administrator and Project Accountant. This cross-training should allow the incumbent to perform defined roles when employees are out of the office on a temporary basis.
10. Identify and recommend improvements in AP, Payroll and other accounting processes/systems.
11. Provide documentation and information required to satisfy Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) reporting requirements and ensure defined internal controls and documentation requirements are maintained.
12. Maintain complete confidentiality relative to all financial information including payroll.
13. Perform additional accounting, reconciliation, and reporting duties as assigned.
Education and experience requirements include: Bachelors (or Associates) degree in Accounting or related discipline with one or more year experience in payroll, accounts payable or general accounting in a for profit company. Working knowledge generally accepted accounting principles and a demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate a variety of work tasks
KEY SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
This position requires strong organization skills, attention to detail in updating financial records and an ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely and efficient manner. The selected applicant for this position will demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills and provide a positive attitude to interact with others in the work place. Communication skills are essential to ensure successful interactions with both internal partners and external vendors. This position requires use of Microsoft Office Suite applications including Outlook, Excel and Word and will utilize the Viewpoint Financial Accounting system. The successful applicant for this position must prioritize work activities to satisfy deadlines for Employees, Vendors, Controller and Executive Leadership. Candidate must maintain confidentiality and contribute to a team-oriented work environment.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Experience performing Payroll, Accounts Payable or General Accounting duties
Experience working with Viewpoint Spectrum or other similar construction accounting software.