Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Durham, NC, United States
Accounting, Operations, Audit
BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina
Sr. Financial and Operational Auditor
Conduct audit and consulting engagements related to financial information, operational or financial processes and internal controls, including general computing controls, in accordance with the COSO framework, generally accepted accounting principles and/or statutory accounting principles, applicable industry and financial regulations, the Audit Risk Management (ARM) Audit Charter and the Internal/External Audit Policy. Determines the adequacy of financial and business process controls and the reliability of financial information.
Responsible for all aspects of planning, executing and reporting the results of assigned audit engagements/projects:
• Partner with management on audits, consulting engagements and special projects to ensure the delivery of timely, relevant and actionable feedback and/or recommendations. These projects may be financial or operational in nature and may require an assessment of IT general controls.
• Design a risk based audit program for assigned projects that identifies applicable operational and financial internal controls as well as IT general controls to provide an overall assessment of risks and operating performance. Execute the audit program and perform appropriate analysis, interpret results, and communicate results to the audit customers. The assessment must be efficient using statistical sampling, where appropriate, and/or other methods in accordance with accepted and recognized guidelines to identify strengths, improvement opportunities, and assess overall risk exposure.
• Document systems, processes, risks and controls using narratives and/or flowcharts as necessary.
• Analyze and assess information obtained through interviews, observation and review of documentation. Assess risks using a risk-based audit approach.
• Identify errors and control deficiencies. Understand and communicate the downstream impact of control deficiencies on the business/organization.
• Identify and recommend cost savings and improvement opportunities. Provide updates throughout the project and present audit findings and recommendations to management. Communicate the results of the project in both a written report and oral presentation, as appropriate.
• Conduct follow-up of action items to ensure effective and appropriate closure of all significant audit recommendations including monitoring progress and providing assurance that results have been achieved for the more significant items.
• Assist in conducting the overall risk assessment of the company and development of the annual audit plan.
• Lead, coach and mentor staff auditors to increase their level of proficiency in internal auditing.
Coordinate the activities of others outside the department who are assisting on the project.
Instruct and guide other auditors assisting on the projects.
• Maintain technical proficiency on regulations, technical issues, IT general controls, risks, test methods, etc. This includes the performance of benchmarking and research with external companies, professional societies and academia to derive best practices.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or business related field.
• Minimum 5 years experience as an internal or external auditor. Experience should include extensive financial auditing and financial reporting.
• Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor designation required.
• A working knowledge of financial and business internal controls and IT general controls, including conducting comprehensive internal control reviews. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Auditing Standards
• Ability to understand and assess financial statements and reports.
• Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, interpersonal (listening, facilitation, interviewing), analytical, project management and consulting skills.
• Knowledge and understanding of information technology processes and controls plus strong PC skills in MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
• Leadership and management skills needed to coach, direct, moderate and coordinate a team through to the successful completion of an audit/review.
• Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certified Management Accountant
It's an exciting time to work at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. Health care is changing, and we're leading the way. We offer more than health insurance our customers can count on. We’re committed to better health and better health care − in our communities and beyond. Our employees bring energy and creativity to the workplace, and it shows in our innovative approach to improving the health and well-being of North Carolinians.
Our company is a not-for-profit with headquarters in Durham and major operations in Winston-Salem and Fayetteville. In all we employ more than 4,900 North Carolinians and serve more than 3.9 million customers.
Help us lead the charge for better health care by joining our award-winning team. Discover tremendous opportunities with us to do challenging and rewarding work. Opportunities that can lead you to a fulfilling career, work that can help others lead healthier, happier lives.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Website : https://www.bluecrossnc.com
Since 1933, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) has offered its customers high quality health insurance at a competitive price and has led the charge toward better health and health care in our state. BCBSNC is a fully taxed, not-for-profit North Carolina company with headquarters in Chapel Hill and major operations centers in Durham, Fayetteville, and Winston-Salem. We employ more than 4,800 North Carolinians1 and serve more than 3.9 million customers.2